Prime Care Pharmacy Services/Management staff work to ensure patients have access to all medically necessary prescription drugs and those drugs are used in a cost-effective, safe manner.
The Prime Care Clinical Pharmacists provide a clinical pharmacy outreach service to educate patients and their health care teams in order to optimize medication related healthcare outcomes, ensure patient safety, recommend cost-effective medication strategies, and coordinate care efficiently and effectively. These pharmacists may also be involved in providing prior authorization management services for providers.
Key duties include any or all of the following:
- Provides medication therapy management including examination of member medical records, performing a comprehensive medication review and communicating with patients and providers, including outbound calls to patients to discuss their medications.
- Reviews patients’ medication profiles and applies evidence based medicine and national guidelines when creating recommendations to health care providers for optimizing the patients’ medication regimen.
- Analyzes and reviews medication lists for potential patient safety problems, including drug interactions, suboptimal medication regimens, etc.
- Promotes clinically appropriate prescribing practices based on evidence based medicine and national guidelines through various modalities (provider/plan profiling, member drug profile reviews, medication protocols/criteria, and case-by-case intervention).
- Researches, develops and implements drug utilization and disease state management strategies and intervention techniques to deliver high quality, cost effective healthcare.
- Assists in coordination of care for pharmacy-related issues between patients, providers and other members of the patient’s interdisciplinary care team, including referrals to state plan health care services.
- Follows up with patients and providers to check on progress toward meeting drug treatment goals.
- Serves as a drug information resource to Patients, Providers and other members of heath care team.
- Works with other members of health care team (e.g., case managers, etc.) on member-centered interdisciplinary teams.
- Assists managers and director with developing/updating policies and procedures and implementing changes to comply with state and federal regulations.
Job Qualifications Required Education
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy plus 10 years of relevant experience, including clinical work, will be considered in lieu of Pharm.D.)
- Continuing education required to maintain an active pharmacist license.
- ASHP-accredited residency or 2-3 years relevant Pharmacy experience.
- Current knowledge and expertise in clinical pharmacology and disease management.
Active State Pharmacy License for workplace and location.
- Ambulatory Care Residency
- Experience with Medicaid and/or Medicare programs.
- Clinical skills or pharmacotherapy expertise for MTMP-related conditions and medications.
- Experience with team-based care.
Preferred License, Certification, Association
- Board Certified Ambulatory Care Pharmacist
- American Pharmacist’s Association Medication Therapy Management Certificate Training Program certificate or equivalent.